Saturday, June 30, 2007

Day 33-Protection

My Prayer: Psalm 86:13 (New International Version)
13 For great is your love toward me;
you have delivered me from the depths of the grave

The Reading: John 17-19
John 17:15-16 (New International Version)
15My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. 16They are not of the world, even as I am not of it.

My Thoughts: This is a passage that I've never spent much time on, but Jesus is praying on behalf of his disciples and on behalf of everyone who would believe in his name. He wanted unity for his church. Boy, have we messed that up! It's really sad to think about what the world could be like with true unity instead of the division among Christians. That's how the world is supposed to find Jesus, through the witness of his people. Still, I'm not sure I've studied much on this prayer of protection...protection from the evil one. I am reminded again of how Jesus prays for us even when we don't know what to pray for.

No comments: