Saturday, June 30, 2007

Day 31-Glory

My Prayer: Psalm 85:7 (New International Version)
7 Show us your unfailing love, O LORD,
and grant us your salvation.


The Reading: John 12-13
John 12:27-28 (New International Version)
27"Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. 28Father, glorify your name!"


My Thoughts: Maybe this is a clue to the answer about my questions about prayer. Jesus has told his believers to pray in his name and their prayers will be answered. So why aren't they answered? Why aren't my prayers answered? Jesus, instead of praying for safety or security or any of the escapes he could command, prayed only to glorify God's name. Bad things happen. Bad things happen to good people. It's true. It's not true that we were ever promised anything different. People don't get any good-er than Jesus who died like a criminal. But as one of those people who know Jesus, a good person can believe that when bad things happen, God's going to use them to change the world, to reach people, to save people. I'm pretty sure that's the mature view that I'm supposed to have. Maybe I'll get there someday.

No comments: