Monday, July 7, 2008

The centurion Cornelius

I'm going to be leading another Bible study beginning Thursday this week. And for some crazy reason, I decided to try something I've never done before. I'm not using a study guide...well, other than the Bible. And that's the ultimate study guide, right?

Luckily, my Sunday school lesson is helping me out a little. We're studying Acts, which is kinda the history that Paul is talking about in Galatians...the book I picked to teach. In order not to lose any of my fascinating plans for the Bible study, I'm doing my best to stay away from Paul. He's a big deal for Galatians, being the writer and all.

Our lesson this week was on...Peter, my favorite, specifically Cornelius and Peter. In Acts, we see Peter growing...and in Galatians, Paul showed that Peter had a whole lot more to do.

Here's where Cornelius comes in:

Acts 10
Cornelius Calls for Peter
1At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. 2He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly. 3One day at about three in the afternoon he had a vision. He distinctly saw an angel of God, who came to him and said, "Cornelius!"
4Cornelius stared at him in fear. "What is it, Lord?" he asked.

The angel answered, "Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God. 5Now send men to Joppa to bring back a man named Simon who is called Peter. 6He is staying with Simon the tanner, whose house is by the sea."

7When the angel who spoke to him had gone, Cornelius called two of his servants and a devout soldier who was one of his attendants. 8He told them everything that had happened and sent them to Joppa.

What do we know about Cornelius?
1. He was important, a leader, a Roman
2. He was devout, feared God, prayed to Him. Cornelius was a good person.
3. Cornelius couldn't save himself. And neither could the angel. God had a plan for Peter.
4. Cornelius was obedient. Immediately.

For some reason, this time, the more we study Acts, the more I understand what amazing things the early church accomplished. I've heard this before, but now it's real. I think it comes from studying Galatians at the same time. I understand Paul better and I see the church at work. Jesus brought the message, but these men did the work. And Satan helped. By persecuting these men and scattering them, Satan caused the spread of Christianity beyond Jerusalem, beyond Judea.

No comments: